Monday, April 23, 2012

Welcome to the World Lily Grace and Claire Sophia!

On the morning of Wednesday, April 18th I woke up to my perinatologist doing his morning rounds. He asked how things were going, and I told him that I was okay but not feeling Baby B (Claire) move much... this wasn't uncommon because of her lack of fluid, but something felt wrong that morning. He ordered a biophysical profile and said that a tech would be in later. A biophysical profile rates the baby 0-10, ten being the best grade. It ranks the babies movement, tone, fluid, and practice breathing. Both girls had a biophysical profile done three days prior and both passed well. The tech finally came in a little after 5:00. I knew almost immediately something was wrong, and when I asked I was right. Claire scored a 0 out of 10 on the biophysical profile. The tech said she was going to contact my doctor(s) ASAP and they would determine the plan of care.

Shortly after, I was told that I would be going in for an emergency C-section. It was so scary going from a laid back day to prepping for surgery. I called Joe and he was there within 15 minutes... our parents also arrived before they took me to the OR. I had a completely natural labor/delivery with Zane, so I was unsure of what to expect. Luckily, I have a great OB and my favorite resident was there. They talked me through everything & Joe did great with the whole surgery. Lily Grace was born first, at 8:24 pm weighing 2 lbs 3 oz. Claire Sophia was born at 8:25 pm and weighed 1 lb 6 oz. I couldn't see them because of the covering, but I got to see Joe's face and reaction to seeing them, which was priceless. I was told Lily came out with her eyes open and moving, but not crying. When Claire came out, she cried & had the sweetest and softest cry. It was the greatest sound in the world.

I was not able to see the girls right away because they were immediately taken to the NICU. I was taken to recovery. When I was finally able to leave recovery and go upstairs to my room, I was unable to stop and see them at the NICU because they were still placing lines. We went upstairs and I stayed up until 3 am. I wouldn't sleep until I saw them. I was finally was taken downstairs to see them, and I couldn't believe how tiny, perfect, and beautiful they both were. Lily and Claire were already loved so much.
                                                            (Joe before the c-section)

No comments:

Post a Comment