Monday, April 23, 2012

Prior to Lily and Claire's Birth...


My pregnancy with Lily and Claire was completely normal. Both my OB and perinatologist said that everything was going great at 23 weeks. I was told that I should come back for a visit in a month, but that both girls were right on target and both were weighing equally. Twins are always considered a high risk pregnancy. Identical twins carry an even higher pregnancy risk due to the fact that the babies are sharing a placenta. But, at 23 weeks the babies were the same size, so everything seemed to be going perfectly.

That perfect pregnancy changed very quickly because at 25 weeks I started feeling, "off." Something didn't seem right, and I called to see my OB that Friday. He was out of his office, so the nurse said that if I started having contractions or bleeding to go to the ER. Well, I wasn't having contractions or bleeding, so I decided to wait until Saturday to see how I felt. On Saturday morning I woke up again feeling like something was wrong. This time I also felt pressure, so I called Bergan's Maternity line and after talking to a nurse for a while, was told to come and get checked out. As I was getting ready to leave my water broke & we headed straight for the hospital.

After arriving to the hospital, my contractions were 1-2 minutes apart. It was confirmed that my water broke and I was given magnesium (to try and stop contractions) and a steroid shot (to help mature the babies lungs). Thankfully, after many shots and medicine, my contractions slowed down and they were able to stop labor. Until Tuesday morning, I was still having minor contractions and leaking amniotic fluid. Tuesday morning I finally saw my perinatologist for an ultrasound. I was told that baby A's water was extremely high and Baby B had barely and fluid at all. It was later confirmed that the girls had Unequal Placental Sharing. Baby B was also at a lower weight than Baby A. I had to have a procedure done called Amniotic Reduction. With this, they took a long needle and inserted it through my belly and into Baby A's sac. They removed 6 liters of fluid, and close to 10 pounds from her sac. I felt immediate relief (no more back pain or pressure, and it was easier to breathe). I was told that I would be monitored closely and likely would have to have more reductions done.


I went back for two more reductions during my hospital stay. They stayed concerned about Baby B's fluid, but I was told that she was still safe. On Monday the 16th, I felt another small amount of fluid. On Tuesday I had my last amnio reduction. Everything looked okay on the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment